Sunday

Heat for my shoulder pain

Have you tried heat for your frozen shoulder pain?

At first I thought that ice would be the right thing - the pain was so bad sometimes that I just had to do something to try to relieve it. I got one of those instant ice packs from the local pharmacy and used it for about three days - no good at all I'm afraid to say.

Then I decided to give heat a go.

A hot rub cream was no good. A heat spray only made my eyes water and some massage oil felt nice but messed up my clothes pretty well !

But heat eventually did make a big difference. One of my friends gave me a wheat filled little bag that I heated up in the microwave for two minutes or so at a time. It had a lovely lavender smell to it - I can still smell it if I close my eyes for a second or two.

Anyway - the heat from that seemed moist and soothing and penetrated really deeply into my shoulder joint. I started using it several times a day and also last thing at night before I tried to go to sleep. Worked a treat for me - didn't cure the condition but it certainly made it easier to handle.

Another friend let me borrow a powerful heat lamp but this was too clunky and large to get much use out of. You might find it helpful though if you want to try one.

So - my recommendation if you have a frozen shoulder too is to try simple heat from a little wheat filled bag. Simple, cheap, portable ... and very effective for my shoulder

Speak again soon

Kathy

1 comment:

  1. The heat sack is my constant companion. I also ploughing through the Tiger Balm at a great rate. At night I take Neurofin Plus pain killers, but I'm not keen on drugs.

    The other thing is to not give in to the freezing. That is, you've got to keep your shoulder moving even if it's gentle.

    As I type I have the wheat sack on my shoulder, and am about to do some easy exercises with my pulley.
    See http://acapsulitis.blogspot.com/2009/08/pulling-myself-out-of-hole.html

    ReplyDelete