Sunday

What is frozen shoulder?

What is a frozen shoulder?

That's what I asked my doctor ... my therapist ... my family ... and pretty much everyone else in earshot - needless to say they all got a bit fed up of me and my questions.

But what is it?

Here's what I eventually discovered - thanks to Doctor Cameron's frozen shoulder book.

It turns out that frozen shoulder is a condition that happens mostly to women in their fifties and sixties. I don't have diabetes - my doctor tested me for this and it was negative. Frozen shoulder is much more common in diabetes patients.

From what I understand - and I think this is correct but leave me a note at the bottom if it isn't - the shoulder joint gets a bit inflamed inside and then gets sticky. The sticky fluid from the inflammation makes the bits of the joint stick to each other inside. This causes it to be stiff and painful - very painful sometimes. I don't know about you if you have frozen shoulder too but sudden movements of my arm really stop me in my tracks with the pain of it all.

I was very worried that I had arthritis but Doctor Gordon Cameron says that frozen shoulder is not usually a form of arthritis - it gets better eventually in nearly everyone.

Have you had frozen shoulder too?

Let me know how you found the experience?

K

PS - I saw that it said Robin's name at the bottom of each note I write to you. Robin is my son in law. He helped me start this up.

6 comments:

  1. For diabetics it's usually said it's sugar concentrating up in the socket area causing their to be less room. Inflamation makes it worse. But I really don't trust anyone as they don't seem to know what they are doing. It's all just checklist medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy I note you claim no benefits from treatments such as homoeopathy. That doesn't surprise me since in my book it's quackery.

    However I would really appreciate a short summary of what Dr Cameron's book suggests.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read that frozen shoulder is only supposed to last for 3 years at most, and that it occurs mainly in 40-60 yr old women - I'm 29 and I've had it for 5 years.

    Does it EVER completely go away? Is it possible for the pain and lack of motor function to be permanent?

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a ''Frozen Shoulder'' for 13yrs now since i 38yrs old , several injections and physio later still no relief, my consultant at that time said i was too young for an operation , But alas the pain is so severe , i'm awaiting hospital app , and no the pain never goes away ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I just turned 54 and am starting my 2nd bout with this stupid stuff. I am not diabetic and very very active with exercise classes and lifting weights at the y. the first time I got it was right before I started menopause when I was around 43 or so. don't remember how long I had it but remember how painful it was and finally after 6 weeks of physical therapy (3 times a week) I got rid of it. Now lo and behold I started getting symptoms in both arms this time a couple months ago. At least I am recognizing what is going on and am trying to keep my range of motion going but already within 3 weeks I am feeling pain when doing routine workouts that I have been doing for 5 years normally with no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have frozen shoulder on the left side. A few years ago I had it on the right side and it was chronic then, the pain was terrible. Up to now the pain is bad but not as bad as last time but its early days yet. I'll be moving house soon so don't want to bother the doctor because I don't want to start treatment and then have to change doctors when I move so I'll wait. Meanwhile I use the wheatbags that I heat in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete